Saturday, October 6, 2018

Day 24: Indepndent-ish practice with classes

AP CSA
I had students work on two different classes in BlueJ (Quadratic and Triangle) and gave them some unplugged HW.  I was gone during this hour, and it was clear when I came back, that there was still a lot of confusion around the client class and the main class.  I am surprised how many students write a TON of code, even when they are getting errors and then try to fix their errors all at the end.

Here was what their prompts looked like.  We did this pair programming style.

AP CSP
Ok... so... I am a bit mixed up on what happened on which day.  At some point (yesterday) we added things to our notebooks.  Today we took a MC test on units 1 and part of 2 (the non-compression) things.

A little aside: I am skipping the compression stuff, the "format showdown" and the "net neutrality" lessons at the moment.  I think we are going to get a TON of programming time this year.  I want to break it up with these other "non programming" tasks.  I think that will help keep programming interesting.

Geometry
We did the "race" activity.  Essentially students race for 4 rounds to put in accurate markings in each diagram given the information.  They fold the sheet of paper so they can only see one row at a time.  I really like this activity because it is "drill and kill" with out the pain.  Getting into the habit of (and knowing HOW to) mark diagrams is SO ESSENTIAL!

I still get a kick out of it when student come to me confused as to how to do a problem and they literally have no markings in their diagrams.  Like... huh?!

I cannot even do the problem without doing the markings.

One Good Thing
I presented to the superintendent today about Lunch and Learn.  This is a thing I am doing that is... a long story.  It is something I am passionate about, but it has also brought a ton of stress and heartache for me personally and professionally.  It was kind of a bittersweet moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment