Monday, April 1, 2019

Day 121-123

Day 121: March 27

AP CSPToday we did the “survival guide” but I paused after we looked at algorithms and asked students to go back and find an algorithm that they had already written that might meet the criteria set by the College Board. I had them look in their image scroller app, the color sleuth app, and a “skill practice app” I had them make as a project.

Students had to copy and paste their algorithm (or, really 3 algorithms - one parent and 2 child algorithms) into google classroom. Then students had to find 2 algorithms that met the criteria and one algorithm that fell short. I handed out candy to everyone who submitted one that students identified as “not quite right” as well as to anyone who could “workshop” the algorithm to make it fit the criteria. I tried to normalize/celebrate mistakes and not shame the students who maybe missed the mark - the whole class learns more when mistakes are made.

It was actually one of the better conversations we have had in class recently.

Day 122 - March 28

AP CSP - I asked students today to give me a thumbs up to thumbs down about how they were feeling about picking a topic. 80% were thumbs down, 20% were thumbs sideways.
I found the three “limiting a task” examples really helpful to show students the variety of things they could make and then we listened to this clip 2 about a female game designer who talked about how she created a game about her life. I think it provided a good example of another way students could make a game personal to them.
BUT the real magic happened when I had them go on a walk-and-talk with their elbow buddy for 7 minutes. One person from the pair brought their phone and set a 7 minute timer. They had 7 minutes to bounce ideas off of their partner while going on a walk and get back to the room.
As students got back to the room every single one of them had AN idea! It was amazing! Typically I have students sitting around on day 3 of the time and still with no ideas… now all of my students have ideas on day -1 of the performance task work time!
I know not all schools would be ok with setting students lose in the building without direct supervision, but I thought I would throw it out there to folks!

AP CSA - fractals in processing

Geometry - Volume... 

Day 123 - March 29

AP CSP:  Students got to work on their create projects. I am going to start stand-up meetings tomorrow.  I want students to answer the following questions:
1) What have you accomplished since last time?
2) What are you "stuck" on?
3) What do you hope to have done by next time?

We also needed to talk about what "good communication" looks like.  I see too many students avoiding eye contact and not listening to one another. 

AP CSA:  I had students try to create the Koch snowflake.  I need to make some refinements with the lesson.  We need to go over push and pop matrices so students know how to use them more next time. da

No comments:

Post a Comment