Wednesday, May 9, 2018

Day: Feeling good about AP tests, but feeling gross about feeling good

AP CSA and AP CSP

Today was the last day my students took their practice AP MC test and I am feeling really good about it.  Averges were in the 72% or 78% range which is a solid 4 on the AP scale for AP CSA.  Given we have 3 more days before the actual test, that seems good to me!  CSP averages were higher - in the 80s.

Students will be able to do test corrections for half credit back before the AP test.

One of my more reluctant students was working on their corrections on the practice test and said, "low key, this is actually really helpful" --- hmhmmm... it took all my energy not to scream "THATS THE POINT!!!!"  BUT, I know that students need to be ready to hear the truth, when I told him it was helpful last week, he wasn't ready to hear it.  Now he was.

So... I am feeling really good about where students were at.  For CSA, we were doing SO MUCH work to prep for the FRQs, but it is clear that transferred to the MC.  I am still a little concerned about students being able to pace themselves, but I think I've done what I can.

For CSP, I think I would push back the "final" to the week before AP testing - the week of is too hectic for students.  I would also give them an extra day to do corrections in class on the practice final.

Concepts
We started a series and sequences unit today.   I had students take notes on a note sheet.  They liked it.  I have always assumed that students needed to have high engagement lessons, but they looked so engaged during this time - the off-task behavior was much lower.  Now, having students copy down notes does NOT mean they are learning, but there is value in having on-task behavior.

One Good Thing
Concepts is changing next year, that is a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment