Saturday, October 6, 2018

Day 23: Switching to BlueJ

AP CSA
Due to class size, I switched up the lessons for each group here today.  In 5th hour we did a Pin class.  I did this same hook last year and it was good.   I also introduced UML diagrams to my 5th hour here since they didn't see it yet.



I wanted students to get a feel for more advanced classes and see it done in BlueJ.  We did this "code along style" and it seemed to work well.

In 6th hour, we created a UML diagram for a quadratic class.  Then students made it in BlueJ "pair programming style".  I just LOVE pair programming when students are first applying new concepts.  It forces them to talk it out and troubleshoot between two people before quitting or asking me.


NOW... here's the thing I am not sure I love about this idea.  It is super math-y.  It can be a super straightforward class, but if you don't remember how to do these algebraic things, it sounds impossible. SO... I am not sure if I would use quadratic again next year... I maybe could do linear equations (increasing, decreasing, find x intercepts, find y intercepts, etc.) . I would hope most students could do that.

AP CSP
Students worked on their favicon.  I showed them the google color picker to help them find creative colors.  They need to translate the 24bits/pixel hex values to 12bits/pixel which seemed to be a really good way to highlight misconceptions in the number systems lessons.  They posted to padlet when they were done.
Made with Padlet

Geometry
We started the lessons on segments in triangles.  Students were given different triangles with segments and asked to sort them into distinct, separate groups.  Then we talked about how they grouped them and put some vocabulary to the different types of triangles as we glued them into our notebook.




We did a few examples of problems on the board that use this vocabulary and then students got started on the homework as I showed them an example from each section of the WKST.

One good thing
I have a FANSTISC TA!  OMG he is so awesome.  Like seriously awesome.  He helped me cut out the triangles for geometry and in general gets to work as soon as he gets in the room.

No comments:

Post a Comment