Wednesday, January 17, 2018

D77: Wins and losses

AP CSA
Win: Students are getting into their projects.  EVERY HOUR just sat when the bell rung, working hard at it.  It was cool.

Loss: I wish we could do more of this... I am hoping we get the grant for next year!

AP CSP
Win: I think I set up something good for the future.  I had students look at their spaceship algorithm and see if it would meet the college board definition.  I had them screen shot it and after break, when we start up again, we are going to re-visit that topic.  Then we started talking about the explore.  I have been living so day-by-day in that class, I am feeling good about what was said there.

Loss: Some students feel like this class is "too easy".  I don't know what a "math elective" should look like.  I don't know what "too easy" even means.  Looking at the code that was written... let's just say not everyone feels that way.  I need to remember, I am teaching this class for the students who thought they might not "be" CS people.  Not for the kid who thinks they are infallible.

Concepts
Win:  Cracking down on behavior.  It is exhausting but needed.  In the long term it will be good.  I am thinking of having my para be cell phone enforcer.

Loss: A kid told me that I "don't care".  That hurts.  It does.  Although, I need to remember that the student literally said that if they are having a bad day they should be able to be jerks and ignore anything said to them.  That's not going to be the reality.   We did have a conversation about how if physically I am sick, class might not be the right place for me.  Likewise, if a student is psychologically unwell, class might not be the right place for them as well.  I think I believe that.  A bigger plan needs to be put into place to help students struggling with mental health issues in class.

One Good Thing
I just love how students are connecting to this project in AP CSA.  That makes me happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment