Tuesday, January 16, 2018

D76: A little help here?!

AP CSA
We started our processing project today.  First hour I told students, "GO!  Do cool things!!".  They were like "huh?".

So second and third hour I got them started.  We did a boiler plate together with a settings function, a setup function and a draw function.  Then we made a class together for a sun.  I channeled my inner Upperline to demonstrate using the reference for filling the sun, or getting rid of the outline, etc.   I think that has made a big difference - I try to stick with it too.  When a student asks me "how do I...", I have them open up the reference and we look at it together.

Students will have all week to work on that.  I told them that they should be working on it all week - If they are "done" I will find extensions for them... usually that isn't as much fun as the extensions they make for themselves.

It worked a ton better when I gave them a boiler plate for the runner class and an object class.  Lesson learned!

AP CSP
I think the 41 student class is starting to catch up with me.  As a group, I think we need to slow down - there are some people who are getting it, but it is not the majority.

Second semester I think we are going to start with a chat bot lab and have all students do a complete "Create" write-up from there.

I also want students to submit their "algorithm" components for us to do a sort of different algorithm's that meet or don't meet the criteria.

We start the explore project tomorrow.

Concepts
It was also registration day today.  I was trying to make a push to get more CSP students so we did an hour of code today in concepts.

One Good Thing
I think this is a good thing - I am trying to crack down on disrespectful behavior.  There is tons of over-the-top responses in Concepts.  I am pointing out that the behavior is disrespectful and setting more clear expectations.

No comments:

Post a Comment