Wednesday, January 10, 2018

D73: Introduction to processing

AP CSA
Today students took a mini-"quiz" - really it was supposed to be a real quiz but I didn't want to spend that much time on it so I made it a warm-up.  That was good though.  I need to remember to do more warm-ups.

Then we did a bit of work in Processing.  This was students first time using processing.  We created a "bubble" sketch where bubbles rose to the top of the screen.  I gave them the bubble class and we added some material in the set-up and draw functions.

It was a shortened hour, but I think the skeleton of the lesson was good - I had extensions ready for students to try.  

I teased students a bit with our project next week which will be all processing.  One of my students left saying that he was really looking forward to the project next week - me too!

AP CSP
We continued adding the scoring mechanism for the color sleuth project.  Walking around and helping students, I realized there still are some big gaps in understanding. There were people putting variables inside methods, methods inside methods, if statements just hanging out... it wasn't pretty.  I think I need to give students some more independent project/tasks to see what they can do.  Right now, I am thinking of  the following:
  • Make hangman
  • Make an escape room
  • Make a Simon-game
  • Make a math-fact practice game
  • Make a "guess the color" game
I would like to characterize these by difficulty to see what I should have students do.

Concepts
Exponents continued today - I think students actually kinda liked it.  That was surprising!  We quiz on it tomorrow!

One Good Thing
I said NO to someone today!  Another teacher was putting together something and it sounded awesome but I said I wouldn't be able to do it.  I feel relieved.  Also... I didn't wear makeup today so I think people felt like I looked overwhelmed :)

No comments:

Post a Comment