Thursday, January 11, 2018

D74: Getting more practice

AP CSA
Today students wrote up solutions Harkness style to prep for a test tomorrow.  For the most part I love this teaching technique... I just need to figure out a way to do that for larger classes...

I am pushing students harder than I think I need to in this unit, but I am hoping it will pay off.  We have done a lot of work with having separate classes interact with one another.  Next we take on inheritance.

AP CSP
After doing ColorSleuth, I had students make a "Space Math" App that Hannah showed me yesterday.  I wanted to get away from a color app for my color blind students.  I think it will be a good exercise.

I am noticing that students seem to want to store variables in labels rather than store labels in variables.  It seems like students don't really have a firm grasp on what a variable is and how to use it effectively.  That was surprising to me.

Concepts
Students tested today on exponents. 

One Good Thing
Students seem to be getting for each loops more now.  I think I didn't do enough direct teaching of what a For-each loop is but through application, students seem to have it.  I really need to put together an interactive notebook for this class!


No comments:

Post a Comment