Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Days 9 - 10: Live lecture

AP CSA


I did a live lecture on Monday and then a mini-live-lecture on Tuesday.  I think I am getting a bit better at understanding what makes a "good" live lecture.  The more I put in clear spots for students to notice/wonder/explore - the better the lecture goes.

Having these breaks allows students to catch up if needed.  It also shows students how they can explore their own programs and "tell the story" behind the code.

I also started recording the lectures for students who miss class or for students who fall behind in the lecture.

Ultimately, I hate doing lecture for math, but I think this "live lecture" format seems to be the best way to build computational thinking habits of mind.

By putting in these breaks for interaction in the lecture, thinking through my process out loud, modeling reading documentation, etc I feel like students are learning more than just procedures - they are building those habits of mind.


AP CSP

37 students is too many!  We did the battleship activity today.  Students did a great job, but it was hard to keep track of!  This might be the story of my year.

The class is a ton of fun though!  Tomorrow we are doing thee "How Routers Learn" lesson.


Concepts

We did two desmos activities on slope - which one is steeper and the land the airplane activity on Monday.  Today we went back to more problems about slope through the Harkness Method.  WE also have been doing number talks - I wish I would have taken a picture of 22 * 9 today.  Students came up with 5 different ways of doing it!  It was wonderful!


One Good Thing

During communication night, I asked families to write down one thing about their student that made them proud of their kid.  The answers were really heartwarming.  


No comments:

Post a Comment