Friday, September 15, 2017

Day 8: Using QFT with AP CSP

AP CSA


Today we did the "birthday lab" where students had to program a computer using modular arithmetic to find out someone's birthday after they enter the "magic number".

I had students extend it by stating the actual month and date (like, "November the 12th" vs "11/12").  Again, this ran short - students needed more extension overall.  Next we start graphics.



AP CSP


I used Question Formulation Technique to have students generate questions based on the "Internet Is For Everyone" article.  I rushed through it a bit because I wanted students to do their interactive notebooks as well.  Esesntially the protocol went like this:

  1. (5 min) students skimmed the full article
  2. (7 min) students generated questions about the internet based on what they read.  They were to ask as many questions as they can following these rules:
    1. Do not stop to discuss, judge, or answer any questions
    2. Write down every question exactly as it is stated
    3. Change any statement into a question 
  3. (2 mins) Students categorize their questions as "Open-ended" or "Close-ended"
  4. (3 mins) Students prioritized their questions by highlighting the three the team was most interested in.

Here were the top questions students had:

  • How do the companies that make up the internet make money? O
  • How much can internet infrastructure be improved? O
  • Why is it slow in some places and fast in others? 
  • Who created the deep web? O
  • Does North Korea use the internet or an alternative? O
  • How do they make it so that the government doesn’t interfere with the internet? O
  • Is the net neutrality from the document still around, and to what extent? O


Here is the complete list we generated.

With a class of this size, it was difficult for me to reinforce the "rules" of QFT - students should only be asking questions - there was a lot of other "chatter" out there.  Next time, I think I need to have clearer "roles" for each person.  Maybe each person is tasked with enforcing a different rule.  Maybe we just have two roles: we have a recorder and someone who held the team accountable for sticking only to questions.  I did this before with smaller classes and it went really well - here students didn't generate the volume of questions I expected and I heard a lot of off-task/"non-question" talk. 

Last time I spent 12 minutes on questions, but shortened it due to a time crunch here.  I am also thinking that it would have been wasted time due to off-task behavior.

Finally, I wonder what would happen if EVERYONE was required to record their questions or if we did this in a "chalk talk" format.

From there we started our interactive notebooks - I am so glad I am doing those again this year, it is so nice to have them!



Concepts of Advanced Algebra

We took our first quiz today after a week of harkness style discussions.  Students struggled with slope so we will go back and re-visit that.  I think a lot of students don't know what a "slope" is - I had coordinates, equations, mixed up numbers, it was a mess.  But, the bulk of the quiz was on functions and that went well.

I am hoping that students continue to collaborate like they have been - it is really encouraging to see them work together now.



One good thing

I have 2 students (currently) who are BREEZING through CSA.  I talked to both of them about making it an "independent study" course where they design their own projects/tasks and then make a timeline for themselves.   They seemed open to it.  I am hoping doing that will keep them engaged, help them learn more, and take some of the pressure off me at the same time.  Win-win.  


No comments:

Post a Comment