Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Day 11: How Routers Learn

AP CSP


Today I did the "How Routers Learn" lesson from code.org.  I LOVE this lesson, but I also asked students how it went.  I got a mixed response, but the most interesting piece was that students thought the "reveal" of the network diagram at the end was the most interesting part (not necessarily the simulation).  That being said, I think my students probably would not have thought the network diagram would be interesting without the huge hook of the simulation. 

I think I will do this again next year AND perhaps look at adding some of the "algorithm detours" to the unit. 






AP CSA


Students are working on their three drawing projects.  I also made my first own flipped video!  So far, the lab time has been really great.  Teaching CS is a weird "flipped life" I feel like.  The class time is less stressful for me, but the planning time is extraordinary for this class.  I am nervous that now we are in the "easy" stuff and that the harder content will be trickier for me too. 



Concepts


We are continuing with harkness.  Students are doing a great job of buying into this method - I love seeing students invite others to participate.  It is a great group overall, I hope it continues!





One Good Thing

I love seeing students be creative in CSA right now.  I have to take pictures of the work students are doing.  I am hoping I can continue to find creative ways for students to engage in the course.  So many students are going above and beyond - one lab asks students to make a smiley face, one student decided to make mickey mouse...

No comments:

Post a Comment