Friday, September 28, 2018

Days 18-20: Conditional logic in CSA

AP CSA
Wednesday and Thursday we did coding bat problems.  I know students can find the solutions online and some students are clearly not doing their own work.  I need to address what is academic dishonesty in CS.

On Friday we took a test.  I had posted practice quizzes on line.  When one student was done he said ¨that was just like the quiz online¨ - I havent been able to check their scores, but I am a bit nervous that some of the conditional logic tripped students up.  They wrote a lot of code, but did not read a lot of code in class - I will have to do more of that moving forward.  This is especially important for if-else statements because there are so many ways to do it - students can get into a rhythm for how THEY write their conditions, but they need to see multiple ways to get to the same outcomes.

AP CSP
Students worked on their ¨how the internet works project¨ for two days and then today we did the black and white pixelization widget activity.  Second hour went so much better than first, and I think there were a few things that caused it to go better:

  • I did the typical ¨discovery¨ method with the tool.  I let them play around with it and then pulled out the key features of the tool together.  
  • I made a padlet for people to share what they made - that forced every student AFTER the first to post to be more creative. 


Geometry
I keep going back and forth between guided practice and individual practice in this class.  I have done a lot of individual practice (via team practice).  I think trashketball will keep kids more accountable.

We are still working on vocab in geometry - that is slow going.

One Good Thing
Our first Lunch and Learn happened. 

No comments:

Post a Comment