Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Day 16 and 17: Impact statements and the spectrum

AP CSA
These two days we did pair programming tasks about Strings.  On day 16 we read a problem and developed a "reading flow chart" where students talked about what key things they would look for when reading the problem.

On day 17 I had students just write method headers for 3 different methods.  I probably should have done this a long time ago.  I think that practice back-to-back was helpful for students who were struggling. 

AP CSP
Monday we finished up our notebooks.  Then we did an "impact scale" where we went out to the commons.  I read some statements and students had to find a place on a scale from "agree" to "disagree"

Starter statements:
  • Dark chocolate is better than milk chocolate
  • School starts too early.
  • In-person classes are better than online classes.


Technology statements:

  • Social media makes people more social.
  • The internet has made us smarter.
  • Technology can be biased.
  • Technology has made the world a better place to live.

It was good to start with some low-stakes statements and get the hang of the process - determine where you stand, talk to the person next to you (give examples/rationale for your reasoning), then share out in the big group.

On Tuesday we started the final project.

Geometry
We did this really great "draw what you read" worksheet in geometry on Monday.  It was good to see the variety of accurate (and inaccurate) drawings.  I am really trying to hit home vocab and diagrams in this unit.  On Tuesday I RAN through distance formula and midpoint formula.  There is this really great midpoint task I want to do, but I also know the focus is on vocab and diagrams.

Tomorrow I want to do a Kahoot and a bit more diagram practice.

Also, I introduced popsicle sticks in geometry.  It was a good move.  Too many students are "opting out" of participation.  I am having a ton of doodlers which is fine if they are learning, but I haven't seen evidence of that.

One Good Thing
I LOVE seeing students high-five each other during pair programming in a "non forced" way.  It is so fun to see them engage with one another.  Today a teacher came to observe me and said she was impressed with the conversations happening between students where they were explaining their reasoning.  I always appreciate having visitors because it gives me a fresh perspective on my practice.


No comments:

Post a Comment