Tuesday, March 20, 2018

D105 and D106: Welcome back from spring break

AP CSA

105: The first day back from spring break I talked a bit about jagged arrays and for-each loops in 2D arrays.  Then students did a few practice it problems to wipe off a few cob webs.

106: We started back on our Procecssing project.  I think next year I cannot do a project over break.  Students could not remember what they were working on or how it fit together.  It did make a good case for commenting code though!

AP CSP

105 and 106: I returned student's write up of the algorithm for the practice create to them.  A lot of students are putting event handlers inside functions or not understanding the rubric.  It makes me happy that we got that out of the way though.  We certainly need to do a bit more practice before doing the create. 

I have several students who are falling FAR behind.  I have been spot checking their progress on key stages like 15.15 and 16.8 which helps hold students accountable.

Today we are going back and doing 14 since I think that is a great performance-y task for students to really pay attention to detail and show that they can combine several ideas. 

I am thinking we will do one more project based assessment at the end here before doing the create task.

Concepts
105: We started back at class with doing some geometric Islamic drawings.  I wanted to give students a task that was different than what they have done before but still focused on some skills I want to develop like attention to detail and sense making.

106: We are in crunch time to the ACT so we did a practice ACT today and will go over the answers tomorrow.  I think I will make a trashketball activity for the next week just to mix it up a bit

One Good Thing
Students helping students.  I am thankful I have some students who are willing to help out and can do so in a non-condescending way.



No comments:

Post a Comment