Tuesday, December 19, 2017

D65: Guest Speakers

AP CSA and AP CSP
Today I had a mini-reunion of CSP students.  I am interested to see what students think tomorrow about how it went.  I asked students ahead of time if they wanted to have former students come in and they said yes.  But then people were SUPER quiet.  Maybe an hour is too much for Q&A.  I am going to meet with TJ to talk about how he does it.

Concepts of Advanced Algebra
We are working on our final project of our finance unit.  Last week Thursday Mike Kauls came to talk to students about how he uses the ideas we have used in class in his job.  It was interesting to see who connected to the ideas in class. We did do a QFT activity the day before Kauls came which I think helped a ton.

I will say that the financial math unit seems to get less push back from students.  They seem to get that this is real-world applications.  I would love to expand this further (I just need more time to do this... maybe next semester...)

I am still struggling to figure out how to get these students to prepare for the ACT.  I still think one of the best ways to prep for the ACT is to take the ACT.   But it seems like any significant portion of time spent on the ACT is wasted by students.  I have decided to put one ACT test into the performance category with students able to make up the wrong questions.  That seems to have the most traction so far.  It is certainly more of the "stick" rather than carrot approach.

One Good Thing
Honestly, it was great to see former students come back. 

No comments:

Post a Comment