Monday, November 6, 2017

D40: Question Formulation Technique

AP CSA

Today we did two more loop problems Harkness style.  I gotta say, I LOVE this tool for teaching CS.  I have to make sure I don't over-use it, otherwise I think it will lose the novelty in class.  Right now, it encourages carefuly problem solving and allows students to make connections and collaborate.  It forces less guess-and-check which I think is important too.  #WIN

AP CSP

Tomorrow we have two guest speakers coming in.  I did a question formulation technique activity with students and I think it was helpful - tomorrow will be a good  test.  I also gave students who were further along some challenge problems for turtle programming.

Concepts

We did two desmos activities - the Marble Slides and a Quadratics Matching activity.  Marble Slides  is engagement gold.  I get concerned that there is too much guess-and-check for this point in the unit.  Careful problem solving is not a skill that comes naturally to this group, but I will say they are quite persistent!

One Good Thing

I've been really trying to stress the importance of team-ness in class.  I think it might be working - there are still some students who seem determined to dominate the conversations, but at least now I have it narrowed down to 3-5 students who I need to target more than others. 

One of my favorite analogies I used with my students was this: fold your arms.  Now, fold them the other way.  Students know it feels weird and uncomfortable - it's not wrong, but it feels not right.  I am asking them to take on a role that may feel uncomfortable.  I just want to acknowledge that it will feel awkward for some students, but that's ok.


No comments:

Post a Comment