Thursday, October 12, 2017

Day 27: Anchor Posters

AP CSA

Now that students are done with their re-takes, I put up anchor posters around the classroom to detail what we have been working on.  I got this idea from working with Upperline and can totally see why this technique helps students (and myself) process the content.

I planned out what posters I wanted and what they should generally look like and then my TA did a killer job making the color pop.  Here are some of the posters:



For our next unit, I am going to put up new anchor posters at the beginning to help students WHILE they are working on the content.

We did another "unplugged" warm-up today with hand written code.  I am trying to really force students to format their code better (in addition to making sure it is accurate).

I think I could probably give my students a clearer list of all the methods they need to use, but at the same time I want them to get used to reading documentation... I could give them a list of method names and that would at least make reading the documentation easier.

In my third hour, I walked through one of the labs with students... but I think I need to do that with all my hours.  At least putting in comments would be helpful for students to hear how I think through the problem.


AP CSP

I had students do the "encode an experience" project today.  I gave them one hour to do it, and honestly, students who really applied themselves could get it done in one hour.  I had a lot of students not apply themselves so much - they did not finish.

Concepts
Students had their third and final re-take on systems of equations.  I have noticed 90% of the reason why students cannot solve a system is because of simple algebra mistakes (PEMDAS, like terms, negative signs, etc.)   This is frustrating for them AND me.  I actually gave students the correct answer for three of the questions on the test and asked them to show their work to get there.

One Good Thing

I am proud of how my concepts students are asking questions.  Their questions show a lot of attention to detail and a desire to do well.

No comments:

Post a Comment