Sunday, November 18, 2018

Days 48 - 51: Before thanksgiving break, we are looking to finish strong

AP CSP
Day 48: We presented our data stories in a "jigsaw" format.  I wanted students to hear new stories from people NOT at their table.  It went really well.  Like, REALLY well.  Some of the stories were fantastic!

I pulled from my code.org facilitator bag-o-tricks to help with this process along with some of the SRI training I did.  I made the time limit very concrete.  Students had 3 minutes to present their story.  Then each observer had to answer a question I had posted on the board.  I posted the question AFTER I called time on the presenters and the questions changed each time.  It was really good to see this structure help students reflect.  I collected their reflections and then had my TA essentially grade them for completion.  I really enjoyed learning about these stories.  My 2nd hour had google slides that they used to present which worked better than the doc.

Day 49:  We talked about false assumptions

Day 50:  Students started their "data innovation" one pagers.  This task is so aligned to the Explore, I think I might let students use this for their practice explore at the end of the semester...  speaking of the end of the semester, I need to figure out what I am going to do for the final in that class...

Day 51: More working on one-pagers.  Some students finished early which was totally fine.

AP CSA
Day 48:  Today we did our first FRQ as a class - 2017 Phrase FRQ.  Learning from last year, I focused on being able to actually read the prompt.  I also asked student to think about the process rather than focusing on the solution.  Still, when it came to the solution, it was rough.  We ended up doing it mostly together, but I think I am ok with that for our first FRQ.  I still see a lot of students jumping RIGHT into syntax without understanding the problem or the solution, I am hoping to address that after break.

Day 49:  Aaron came in and did the "learner perspectives study" - I will write more about this later, but it was essentially time off for me to work on other things.

Day 50:  Since most students didn't have their "Hidden Word" FRQ done, we did that this hour.  It went better than on day 48.  One of my students programmed up the FRQ and showed me that it worked.  I think that is a good idea for the future.  I think that might help students think more critically about what they are writing down.

Day 51:  I let my classes vote on what we did today, either a "rock paper scissors" game or code.org's hour of code dance party.  My 5th hour choose dance party, 6th hour chose rock paper scissors.  My 5th hour LOVED dance party, which was a good sign, I was worried they would be too mature for it.  They aren't.

My 6th hour was pretty engaged with the game too.  We did some commenting of it first and then I did it code-along-style with them.

Geometry
Oh, geometry.

So we did a lot more practice with using this vocabulary and doing proofs.  I still have a TON of students sitting and doing NOTHING while they are supposed to be working on the warm-up.  I am sure when I grade the tests that will show.  What strikes me about this unit is that there are essentially like 4 vocabulary words that students need to know how to use and then 2 variations of each vocab term that they need to apply.  For example, they need to know "alternate interior angles" and "alternate interior angles theorem" and the "converse of the alternate interior angles theorem".  They all are very much related, we even give them the vocab words on the test.  BUT, we still have too many students who cannot identify the relationships and thus cannot give reasons for the math they do.  I am not looking forward to grading their tests (which they took on Friday).  A lot of the "algebra" on the tests are right but the reasonings need some work...

I had a student helper come in on Thursday which was helpful.  I also checked student homework on that Thursday too which helped me get to each student.

I am nervous for our next unit when we need to have students do more reasoning again...


One Good Thing
I really appreciate doing the learner study with Aaron.  It is a good way to get feedback from students.  It also raises, for me, some questions on what student's are thinking when they say these things.  I will blog on this more soon... but, even if the criticism seems unfair (or confusing) I still appreciate having a fresh perspective of what the class is thinking.  It was also good to have another teacher in my room conducting it.  His perspective ON the student perspectives was affirming - talk about "meta" :)

No comments:

Post a Comment