Thursday, November 8, 2018

Day 45: Helpers to the rescue

AP CSP
Yesterday we started the data unit by doing the "good and bad data visualizations" lesson.  I personally like that lesson.  I don't think it really takes the whole hour, but it is a good "intro" to data.

Today, we watched the "human face of big data".  Yesterday a student said "we won't have to do a worksheet during it, will we??" and I was immediately reminded of how I had so many students sleep and on phones during the video last year.  I had already made a quiz from last year to hold students accountable but I re-purposed it as a worksheet.  Students really did not like it, but it was 100% the right thing to do.  Way better attention this year.  I also had the lights partially on to support listening.  That helped too.

AP CSA
We did just a short 2 day excursion in while loop labs and then I gave students a test today.  I split MC and FRQ to 2 different days which I think is a good thing to do.  I don't want students to be able to reference the MC during the FRQ and it is hard for students to balance their time - they don't know if the FRQ will be easy or hard.

Looking back to last year, I am roughly on track.

Geometry
I am still loving taking about "reasoning" rather than "proofs" in geometry.  I found a group of fun geometry exercises but when I did a paper-folding exercise I had so many students who went nuts.  Asking them to fold paper was "doing too much".  It was just an ugly hour yesterday.  Today I decided to make it more of a work day.

I find that long warm-up problems printed out go pretty well.  So we did 2 of those and then I had 2 volunteers come into my classroom to help, that allowed my students who demand attention to get help attention they want and allows me to help students who won't otherwise advocate for themselves.  It was a much less stressful hour just to have more hands on deck.

One Good Thing
I am really thankful for the student volunteers - it made all the difference!

No comments:

Post a Comment