Monday, January 29, 2018

D82: Re-thinking the practice explore

AP CSP
Students turned in their practice Explore task and did presentations on it.  Last year I liked the presentations, but this year felt a bit "blah".  I think the hardest thing for students was NOT looking at their cell phones for the time period.   Next year, I think I will make it a "scavenger hunt" sort of thing - I will have half the class "present" their project to small groups of students, and students will have to interview each other about their innovation.  Then we will switch to the other half of the class.  I think that will make the time period more interactive.  I think I also could probably do this in an hour and I could give students the final time period to work on the "real" explore.

Concepts
We did this Desmos activity as our final.  This was actually a student's idea... here is what is good/bad about it:

  • Good:
    • It certainly reinforced the growth mindset and problem solving that I have been trying to stress all year long
    • Students worked the whole time - few students took up the "above and beyond" option but I feel like typically when I give a test to this group, they will just try to write down numbers as fast as possible and turn in some pretty crummy work.   That didn't happen here.
  • Bad:
    • I think I needed to work in some additional reflection questions here to be graded.  
    • I am concerned that this shows that students are able to guess and check more than they are able to graph linear and quadratic equations.  It probably does a bit of both. 
    • We did not cover exponential growth here, so it wasn't as comprehensive as a MC final I could have given. 
Overall, if I teach this again, I think I would do a desmos final again.  I would add in some reflection questions and perhaps only give 2-3 extra credit problems so students don't get overwhelmed. 




One Good Thing
I graded students practice PTs and they were actually pretty good!  I was a bit releaved that they followed the directions pretty well!  We start the "real" task tomorrow so I'm feeling pretty good about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment