Monday, October 30, 2017

D36: Graphics FTW

AP CSA

Today we did a "Loopy Art" code-along day.  We talked about how color works in Java and connected that back to making constructors from the beginning of the year.  Then we did a series of short challenges.




Once again, I needed a few extensions - really, I needed an extension for EVERY single challenge - next year, I will need to do that.

One of the challenges I came up with was to make a gradient similar to what students see on Google's RGB color picker.  I even had a student incorporate user input.



Once again, students wanted to do more of this! I am actually a little concerned that the labs I have prepared are too easy - I need to look at making a challenge one tonight.

CSP

We talked about functions with parameters.  

Concepts

I did the Desmos Activity Parabola Slalom with students.  It was great to challenging their thinking about different forms.  I would pause the screen to have them visualize what the solution might look like - that was surprisingly telling too 

One Good Thing

When a student said "can we do more of this"!  In CSA - I haven't heard that a ton this year in CSA.  I knew that would be the case, but this year is about getting something together, perfecting (or progressing) on my teaching CS techniques - next year I am going to be refining the projects to increase engagement and creativity needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment