Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Day 6: Am I challenging my students enough?

AP CSA
I thought I knew what I was doing this week... but then last night I looked at my plans and realized it was WAY TOO easy for students.  I also didn't really know what I could do to challenge them with the videos I had them use.

Thankfully, another teacher on Twitter reached out to me earlier in the year and gave me some tools.  I ended up doing a "live lecture" of a lab and let students build on it.  I learned that I need to still come up with additional extensions for students who are WAY fast. 

I am still not 100% sure I am using the right vocabulary when I am doing these live lectures - I just need to script them out more and plan in student breaks for independent work.  That will need to be my plan for the objects lecture next week.

AP CSP
Today we finished up with our flippy dos and we moved to the "sending numbers lesson".  It worked out well. Many students took a "pixel" approach to their protocol - I needed to reinforce that it would be a line drawing.

The key to this class is using a timer for myself.  I want to see what every student is doing, but I just don't have time to do that with 37 students.  Having a timer keeps things going and holds me accountable.

In this lesson, it was really helpful to have planned breaks for students to share out their ideas and protocols.  It raised a lot of issues that people weren't considering

I am good at coming up with extensions for this class too.  The key is to come up with example drawings for students to send to a friend with challenges in there.  I was sure to give students who had "chunk size" set to 4 larger images.

Tomorrow, we are going to talk about the minimum number of bits needed to encode a date and then move on to encoding text.  On Friday, we are going to assemble our notebooks and talk about "the Internet is for everyone".


Concepts of Advanced Algebra
We did our first number talks - students are actually really good thinkers about this.  I just absolutely love doing number talks to reinforce norms.  We ended with some function problems. 

My goal for this class is to build stronger thinkers and communicators.  I wonder what the goal is supposed to be for this class.


One good thing
I have hooked one more student on computer science!  We might only be a week in but one of my CSP students was talking to another student about his course load next year.  Essentially, he said he KNEW he would be taking CSA, he just wasn't sure about the other STEM courses he would take.  I was happy to hear CSA was a given.

... I'm excited to improve that course for next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment