Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Day #2 - setting norms

AP CS A

Inspired by Joe's Inquiry cubes, I made my own to do with my CSA students.  After we finished that activity, I asked them to write down what types of behaviors helped them be successful on post-it notes by themselves.  While they were doing that, I put a big pink post-it on their table and then had them consolidate common behaviors/actions onto one pink sheet.  Then we did a whip-around to share those out.  Tonight, I am going to consolidate those into one set of norms for the group.






AP CSP

I have a HUGE CSP class - 36 students!  Although, I think we will make it.  I am always really excited to teach CSP.  Today I asked students to complete a puzzle as fast as they could without breaking the box - I told them they need to communicate and collaborate.  We did norm setting just like we did in CSA, but I forced them to dig in deeper to what "successful communication and collaboration" looks like.  Students will say, "we need team work" but that doesn't really explain what that looks like.



Concepts of Advanced Algebra

We actually did the same activity in CSA with inquiry cubes - it was successful!  Not as many students made it to the last one, but the conversations and pattern noticing was great!



One good thing

I have A lunch!  Which normally I would be cranky about since it is at 10:30 AM, BUT with 3 preps, all of my CSA classes fall before lunch, then I get lunch, and get to do CSP and Concepts of Advanced Algebra.  It actually breaks up the courses nicely and gives me a chance to re-group before CSP and Concepts classes start.  I think that might be a savior!



No comments:

Post a Comment